Gen Z is the generation of the side hustle. 💪🏻 They’re creators. 👩🎤 They’re freelancers. 🧑💻 They’re investors. 👩💼 And they’re not afraid to take on challenges, especially when it comes to their finances - and we’re here for it.
Step is a next-generation financial services company building a better banking experience to help teens and young adults achieve financial independence and knowledge at an earlier age. We’re on a mission to improve the financial future of the next generation by empowering teens to start their financial journey today. Step is a well-funded Series C company that has raised more than $175M, focused on disrupting the banking industry through a differentiated mobile-first consumer experience.
Teens and families love our product. We eclipsed 1 million customers in just four months after launch and have now crossed 4 million customers. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a strong mission and vision that puts people first, we want to meet you!
Step is seeking a Lead Accountant to be part of a world-class Accounting team. As a lead accountant, you have in-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, proficiency in accounting systems, and strong desire to drive efficiencies in periodic close processes. You are a self-starter and have excellent attention to detail and the mindset to do the right things.
- Support accounting month- and year-end close processes, which may include preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analysis
- Assist in preparing monthly balance sheet and income statement flux variance analysis for management reporting and prepare monthly financial reporting package
- Perform ad hoc research and analysis in connection with new products
- Support internal and external audit requirements
- Proactively review current procedures and seek ways to improve processes to ensure timely monthly close, accuracy of accounting entries, and operational efficiency
- Assist in designing, implementing, maintaining and monitoring corporate accounting policies and procedures; and assist in internal control and process documentation
- Oversee and review the accuracy and completeness of the information generated by the external data entry team
- Manage assigned projects and collaborate with cross-functional team members in delivering timely, high quality, decision-ready information to our business partners
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience is required (combination of private and public accounting experience is preferred)
- Excellent analytical, creative problem solving, organizational and project management skills
- Strong sense of ownership and curiosity to learn new skills
- Takes initiative to implement changes that will simplify and improve processes
- Ability to be flexible and comfortable with changing requirements
- Fluency with U.S. GAAP and the ability to research accounting literature
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact and communicate with the team, cross-functional groups and external partners
You might also have:
- SQL experience
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the banking and payments industry
- Base pay salary range is $90,000-$120,000 and stock in an early stage startup.
- Salary will be determined by a variety of factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions.
Working at Step
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental benefits 💸
- High potential for growth 📈
- Stock in an early-stage startup 🤩
- Flexible WFH and vacation policy 🏝
- Paid parental Leave 🐣
- Employee referral program 👯♀️👯
- Professional development reimbursement 📚
- Monthly stipend for Step Card testing ☕️
- 401K plan 💪🏻