Head of Legal, General Counsel
Palo Alto, CA
Step is a next-generation financial services company building the best banking experience to help teens and young adults achieve financial independence and knowledge at an earlier age. Step’s mission is to create a bank that gives you the tools to become smarter with your money and reward you along your financial journey. Step is a well-funded Series B company focused on disrupting banking through a differentiated mobile-first consumer experience. The founding team has an extensive background in FinTech and building successful consumer products and brands. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a strong mission and vision that puts people first, we want to meet you.
Step is looking for an experienced General Counsel, who will be responsible for leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and matters involving financial regulatory and other regulatory compliance areas. You must have the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment and work collaboratively with internal product, compliance and engineering teams. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and technology strategy for our entire business.
- Navigate a complex landscape to help design innovative financial products and services.
- Work with compliance to develop strategy with applicable laws and regulations relating to privacy, security, consumer protection and financial services.
- Review and advise on pending and developing applicable law and regulations.
- Provide contracting support and advice on matters relating to financial services offerings.
- Review and draft related agreements (e.g. card processing, cloud services, and vendor services agreements).
- Build processes to improve the company’s operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 5+ years experience doing financial services regulatory compliance work
- 7+ years experience as a practicing attorney
- Proficient knowledge of relevant rules and regulations, including, but not limited to, FCRA, BSA, USA Patriot Act, OFAC rules, Truth in Lending, Reg E and Reg Z.
- Experience leading projects with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience working with mobile and other Internet and technology companies, preferably startups at the Series A+ stage
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and providing direction and leadership under tight deadlines
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental benefits
- Stock in an early stage startup that is growing
- Flexible WFH and vacation policy
- Free daily lunches
- Free snacks & drinks
- Monthly team events outside the office
- Monthly stipend for commuter benefits and card testing
- Office right next to Caltrain