Gen Z is the generation of the side hustle. 💪🏻 They’re creators. 👩🎤 They’re freelancers. 🧑💻 They’re investors. 👩💼 And they’re not afraid to take on challenges, especially when it comes to their finances - and we’re here for it.
Step is a next-generation financial services company building a better banking experience to help teens and young adults achieve financial independence and knowledge at an earlier age. We’re on a mission to improve the financial future of the next generation by empowering teens to start their financial journey today. Step is a well-funded Series C company that has raised more than $175M, focused on disrupting the banking industry through a differentiated mobile-first consumer experience.
Teens and families love our product. We eclipsed 1 million customers in just four months after launch and have now crossed 3 million customers in our first year on the market. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a strong mission and vision that puts people first, we want to meet you!
Step is looking for an experienced Data Scientist working on all parts of the business: Risk, Growth, Customer Experience to name a few.
What you’ll do
- Fraud detection algorithms and systems that protect Step and its customers from fraud and financial loss. You will work with our fraud experts to understand all the details of what’s working well and where we need to fill gaps, and help build an in-house decisioning platform to quickly test, improve, ship, and track models.
- Systems to identify behavioral patterns among our users and match with correct incentives and recommendations.
- Systems to cleanse, classify and deduplicate metadata from a large dataset of financial transactions.
- Collect and define requirements for data-driven projects across all company's needs.
- Design and implement data solutions from the ground up to help drive strategic business decisions.
- Leverage both new and existing data to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our risk infrastructure.
- Design and implement predictive models as part of overall solutions.
- Specify, design, build and test data processing software.
- Partner with operations to quickly respond to rapidly evolving events.
- Help build the next generation of data products at Step.
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years experience in data engineering or data science.
- A graduate degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, physical sciences, or a similar technical field.
- Ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent data analysis skills.
- Bias towards simple solutions that work.
- Experience working on financial systems, fraud and risk modeling.
- Experience developing and deploying machine learning models.
Working at Step
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental benefits 💸
- High potential for growth 📈
- Stock in an early-stage startup 🤩
- Flexible WFH and vacation policy 🏝
- Employee referral program 👯♀️👯
- Monthly stipend for Step Card testing ☕️
- 401K plan 💪🏻