Gen Z is the generation of the side hustle. 💪🏻 They’re creators. 👩🎤 They’re freelancers. 🧑💻 They’re investors. 👩💼 And they’re not afraid to take on challenges, especially when it comes to their finances - and we’re here for it.
Step is a next-generation financial services company building a better banking experience to help teens and young adults achieve financial independence and knowledge at an earlier age. We’re on a mission to improve the financial future of the next generation by empowering teens to start their financial journey today. Step is a well-funded Series C company that has raised more than $175M, focused on disrupting the banking industry through a differentiated mobile-first consumer experience.
Teens and families love our product. We eclipsed 1 million customers in just four months after launch and have now crossed 3 million customers in our first year on the market. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a strong mission and vision that puts people first, we want to meet you!
As a Disputes Manager, you will be directly responsible for driving key initiatives within the disputes team and overall Risk organization. We are looking for an experienced Fraud and Risk leader to manage and optimize our dispute process. Having a robust and scalable dispute team is not only important for the financial health of Step but also for the protection of our Step users.
This senior management position requires a candidate with strong communication and interpersonal skills, a desire to coach and develop people, excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to practice critical thinking, and a solid analytical and data-driven approach to their work. This candidate will work closely with leadership members as well as with cross functional stakeholders to drive change within the organization. Your work will have a tangible and lasting impact on the direction of Step.
- Oversee and manage the Dispute team strategy by developing, organizing, and managing your team's productivity targets, OKRs, KPIs, and Product improvements that will drive success toward our annual company goals
- Develop, manage, and iterate on operational process improvements that will drive KPIs, success metrics, and efficiencies across the dispute team
- Leverage data to synthesize recommendations and share with various management teams and other key stakeholders to drive a collaborative culture within the organization
- Create and support a world class team through feedback and coaching, performance management, conducting annual performance reviews, and managing the team's day-to-day operational tasks to ensure
- Work cross-functionally with teams within the Risk org and groups/individuals outside of our org, such as Product/Eng, Customer Success, Data, Compliance, and more
- Ensure we maintain compliance with all relevant consumer regulations
- Work alongside the team on tickets and cases if there is a spike in disputes volume. Have a get it done mentality
- Advise on emerging risk vectors and devise strategies on how to manage risk exposure
- 5-10 years of dispute and/or fraud work experience (Fintech experience preferred); minimum 3 years of people management experience
- Deep understanding of transaction processing, including authorization, clearing/settlement, and card technologies (token, chip/EMV, and industry players including acquirers, issuer, processors, agents, merchants and cardholders)
- Subject matter expert on existing and newly-emerging fraud typologies and dispute prevention/recovery strategies. Extensive knowledge of network rules and regulations
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills to establish productive working relationships with staff and management at all levels
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs and to prioritize competing priorities
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced environment and dealing with ambiguity
- Base pay salary range is $105,000-$135,000 and stock in an early stage startup.
- Salary will be determined by a variety of factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions.
Working at Step
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental benefits 💸
- High potential for growth 📈
- Stock in an early-stage startup 🤩
- Flexible WFH and vacation policy 🏝
- Employee referral program 👯♀️👯
- Monthly stipend for Step Card testing ☕️
- 401K plan 💪🏻